Thursday, May 28, 2009

What a trooper

Yesterday ... well, actually, the other day ... Tuesday to be exact, both boys had simultaneous doctor appointments. Both needed updates on their vaccinations, Matthew for 15 months and Andrew (gulp!) for kindergarten. Both needed 3 shots. There really is no preparing a baby for vaccinations. I did my best to hold on and ride it out. He cried, but calmed down pretty quickly after I pulled him away from the mean nurse.

Andrew, on the other hand, was a superstar. I talked to him about what was going to happen. I told him it was going to hurt; like being pinched really hard. I told him that it would be over very quickly and he'd be none the worse for wear. He calmly laid down and I offered him my finger to squeeze. I don't think he quite understood that part, but took my finger nonetheless. The nurse plunge the first needle into his thigh and he squeaked and started to whimper. I talked him through it and he grasped the purpose of the finger. The next two went by with nary a peep. OK, well, he peeped and whimpered some more, but a whole lot less than I would.

For being such a trooper at the doctor's office, I offered him anything in the grocery store (we had to get milk anyway). After explaining to him 26 times that he could pick whatever he wanted, he selected Birthday Cake Ice Cream. Not a bad choice, I must say.

(c) 2009 Scott Everett

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:17 PM

    i am very proud of Andrew but then he is our big boy.
    It doesn't seem as though Matthew did very badly either. After all he is just a little boy:<

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm pretty impressed that even though auntie connie lives in Massachusetts you can magically become her in Texas saying "trooper" and all :-)

    i am proud of my nephews and i am a little in shock over the fact that andrew is going to kindergarten. you know i have an in with some great kindergarten teachers, and day care would be free before and after school :-P

    ReplyDelete