Thursday, January 06, 2011

I think we still might have something to work on.

Today Andrew came home with some awards from school.  He has a certificate of recognition and two gift certificates for each award; perfect attendance and honor roll.

This evening, while I was putting him to bed, we had this conversation.

Me: You know, I'm really proud of you, Andrew.  Do you know why?

Andrew: Because I got ready for bed?

Me: Well, that too, but why else would I be proud of you?

A: Because I brushed my teeth?

Me: That too, but what else?

A: Because I got my jammies on?

Me: No, silly, because you made the honor roll.  That means you are doing really well in school.

A:  It does?

Me: Yeah, it says you got all As.

A: My friend Eduardo is on the honor roll, too.

Me: Yeah, he's super smart, too, right?

A: Uh huh.  I think he got all Es.

Me: No, I think he got all As just like you.

A: But his name is Eduardo.  Doesn't he get Es?

After this point I explained to him the concept of grades and how they worked.  I have no idea how much of it he caught on to, but it's a start.  Should I be happy that he does well in school without the incentive of grades, or should I be concerned that he had no clue what they meant?

© 2011 Scott Everett

No comments:

Post a Comment