Tuesday, May 22, 2007


Last two pictures from the train museum.

This was one excited little boy. The whole trip down to the coast, he kept talking in the car, repeatedly asking if we were going to the beach. He barely slept on the 4 hour drive (not my son!). We kept telling him that we had to get there first.

When we finally got to Galveston, he asked when were going to the beach. We decided that we'd hit the train museum first and you've seen those pictures. After we left the museum he asked, "Beach yet?" We told him that we had to check in to the hotel room, change clothes, and then we'd walk across the street to go to the beach.

We got to the hotel (Victorian Inns & Suites -- not bad), checked in, and went up to our room. We rented a suite and no sooner had I unlocked the door and opened it, than Andrew darted inside and started to change his clothes. Before we could get a single bag through the door, my son was completely naked in the living area asking if it was time to go to the beach.

After a quick change of clothes, we walked over to the beach. Now, Andrew is still very shy around other people. These last 18 months or so in daycare have helped immensely, but he's just a shy guy. Not today! We got to the beach and before Liz and I could spread the blanket out, he had his bucket in hand and was in the water ready to go. The whole weekend we had to make deals just to convince him to get out of the water even for meals.

We interrupt this beach-cast for other news. Andrew loves corn. Even better, Andrew loves corn on the cob. Andrew also loves to shuck corn on the cob. He thinks that it looks like a spaceship, so he has dubbed it, and it will now forever be known as "Rocket Corn." Best. Name. Ever.

(An aside: I was looking for some style advice from the Modern Language Association (http://www.mla.org/) and came across some new "rules" that really bothered me.

I found out they recommend that if a title begins with a numeral, it should be alphabetized as if the number were spelled out. So the nursery rhyme "3 Blind Mice," for example, would be filed under, "Three." I have always understood convention to be that numbers are organized in order (1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21, ... 1,973,487) before letters.

I also found out that modern convention requires only one space follow the termination of a sentence. A style change dictated by modern typesetting. Not only does the MLA recommend this (though they do say that there is nothing wrong with continuing to use two spaces), but I just realized that Blogger here changes my posting to fit this new convention. Rest assured, I continue to use two spaces.

I know, I know no one cares. But I'm obsessive about that sort of stuff. I'm sure my sister will empathize. That's all.)

(c) 2007 Scott Everett

No comments:

Post a Comment