Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Unhappiness

Things started off so well on Monday. We spent all morning and early afternoon at the zoo and went to lunch downtown, but didn't get home until after 2:00pm. He was tired, but in good spirits nonetheless.

Liz put him down for a nap, but, as he usually does when he's overtired, he didn't sleep at all. Regardless, he came out into the living room and watched a little TV before going in to help mom in the kitchen (as seen previously).

I had gone outside to throw the ball for the dog and Andrew wanted to come out, too. He came outside and the day descended rapidly. First, he wanted to push his big dump truck around the backyard while I chased him. Being occupied with the dog, I said that I would later. The folowing pictures are the fall-out:



Liz saved the day by offering his sidewalk chalk. That worked well for about 6 nanoseconds. He started drawing on me. I told him to stop, so he immediately repeated the act, daring me to scold him.

We went back inside and the 15 minutes until dinner were salvage by a rousing game of Candy Land (photos tomorrow).

It's amazing how quickly he recovers from disappointment or discipline. He could be bawling his eyes out, making himself sick, and as soon as the discomfort wanes, either from distraction or release of punishment, he his as happy as normal. The world is so simple when you are three.

----------------
Listening to: Davis, Alana - My Way Home
(c) 2007 Scott Everett

No comments:

Post a Comment